GASOLINE ENGINE DRIVEN
- LANCE: ULTRA HIGH PRESSURE PIERCING
- BLITZ: ULTRA HIGH PRESSURE FOG
FIRE FIGHTING SYSTEM
LB 2000 W-G
SPECIFICATIONS FOR FIRE FIGHTING SYSTEM
DUAL FIRE FIGHTING AND PIERCING SPECIFICATIONS
Scope and General Design Requirements
A dual combination firefighting system shall be provided which shall be provided for firefighter safety:
a.) A multi-purpose firefighting system which shall be provided for firefighter safety by offensively attacking fire and fire gases from a ‘defensive position’. Utilizing the transitional attack fire-fighting method, ultra-high pressure piercing, and cooling the fire-fighting system shall allow the operator to attack fire from a safe exterior position without the firefighter entering a situation prone to dangers such as backdraft and/or flashover.
The nozzle shall pierce the outer structure with ultra-high pressure water and aggregate enabling an exterior attack on the involved aircraft or structure. Once the outer surface or structure is penetrated, the system shall continue to inject ultra-high pressure water into the thermal layer which cools the interior, thus dropping temperatures in a matter of seconds.
The system shall be extremely effective on compartmental areas including aircraft of various types, other areas where firefighting activities are difficult and dangerous to access. The system shall have the ability to attack the fire in its’ three dimensional gaseous phase, greatly reducing the potential for flash over or back-draft conditions. The system shall also have a unique ability to pierce and cut when necessary and controlled by the nozzle operator.
b.) A second firefighting ultra-high pressure system to allow the operator to attack fire from a safe position and for quick knock-down of certain defined fires. The system shall be extremely effective in fire attack operations with limited water supplies.
Components and Module Design
The firefighting system shall consist of:
- Engine: Gasoline driven engine
- Water pump: ultra-high pressure positive displacement piston pump
- Reels: two (2) high pressure reels and attack hose
- One (1) piercing UHP nozzle with wireless control
- One (1) pistol grip high pressure nozzle with manual control
- Abrasive vessel and injection system
The aggregate abrasive product shall not rust and shall be environmentally safe, allowing the unit to be kept loaded indefinitely and ready for use at all times.
The major components shall be assembled into an enclosed assembly with an integral gasoline engine.
Piercing and Cutting Capability
The system shall be capable of penetration through the following material:
- Concrete with thickness up to 2” inches (50 mm)
- Concrete block walls
- Steel surfaces with thickness up to 1/2” inch (12 mm)
- Aluminum surfaces with thickness up to 1” inch (25 mm)
- Wood material and plywood with thickness in ½” to 4” inches range (12 mm to 100 mm)
- Composite materials with thickness up to 4” inches (100 mm)
- Plexiglas material with thickness up to 1/4” inch (6 mm)
Performance Capabilities and Applications
a.) The firefighting system shall be tested and proven to be highly effective in the following capabilities:
b.) The firefighting system shall be tested and proven to be highly effective in the following applications and uses:
c.) In addition, the system shall have the following attributes and operation features:
- Separate engine for quick and dependable start-up under varying temperature and altitude conditions.
- Completely forward deployable and self-contained unit for local installation by technicians.
- Simple operator interface that requires limited training levels.
- Unit shall be capable of operation in approximately 15 seconds and penetration operations in approximately 1 minute.
- Use of abrasive material shall be non-corrosive allowing the unit to be ready for instant deployment in a pre-loaded state.
- The unit shall include a fully contained automatic manifold induction system, which shall not require any valves downstream of the abrasive feed line.
Performance Capabilities – Ultra-High Pressure
The ultra-high pressure firefighting system shall be tested and proven to be highly effective in the following scenarios:
- Wildland, grass, and brush fire applications
- Automobile and truck fires
- Limited structural fires
- Confined or concealed space fires
- Limited aircraft fire fighting and rescue operations
- Limited industrial fires
- Shipboard and marine firefighting
- Military firefighting applications
- Container fires
The fire-fighting system shall be packaged in a self-supporting framework with dimensions of 36” (915 mm) wide, 24” (610 mm) deep, and 32” (865 mm) high. The mounting assembly shall be powder coated and shall be designed to contain the specified major components of the system.
ULTRA HIGH PRESSURE FIRE PUMP SPECIFICATIONS
The fire-fighting system shall be equipped with a heavy duty ultra-high pressure three plunger type positive displacement fire pump.
The pump shall have the following features:
- Pump rating: 20 GPM @ 2,200 PSI (80 LPM @ 150 bar)
- System operational rating: 20 GPM @ 1,400 PSI (80 LPM @ 100 bar)
- Brass Manifold
- Stainless Steel Check Valve
- Stainless Steel Plunger Rods
- Bronze Connecting Rods
- Tapered Roller Bearings
- Solid Ceramic Plungers
- Heavy Duty Flat Base
- High Pressure Seals
- Heat Treated Crankshaft.
POLY DRIVE SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS
The ultra-high pressure fire pump shall be equipped with a tooth-type Poly Belt drive system between the engine and the fire pump. The pulley ratio shall be appropriate for the engine type to produce the specified fire pump performance.
The fire-fighting system shall be powered by a Briggs and Stratton gasoline engine. The engine installation shall be designed with adequate cooling and ventilation air in the mounting area.
The engine shall have the following specifications:
- Model: Vanguard
- Type: Air cooled V-twin horizontal shaft
- Cylinders: Two
- Horsepower: 35
- RPM: 3,600
- Oil filter and cooler
- Choke control
- Oil alert system
The fire pump engine shall have a muffler, rain cap, heat guard, and exhaust pipe installed on the engine assembly. The exhaust pipe shall be directed vertically and away from the pump operator panel.
GASOLINE FUEL TANK
A plastic fuel tank shall be installed for the specified gasoline engine. The fuel tank shall have a capacity of approximately 2.5 gallons (9 L). A shut/off valve and flexible fuel line shall be furnished.
ELECTRIC SUPPLY CABLE AND CONNECTION
The unit shall be powered by the chassis power system. There shall be a 12V+ power stud, and a ground stud provided for the OEM / installer to power the system. The OEM / installer shall be responsible for supplying the power to the unit with a circuit breaker.
INSTRUCTIONS AND LABELING
A fire-fighting pump instruction nameplate and necessary warning labels shall be installed on the assembly. (English language)
HOUR METER AND TACHOMETER
The fire pump engine shall be equipped with an hour meter and tachometer installed on the control panel.
OIL DRAIN HOSE
The fire pump engine shall be equipped with an engine oil drain extension equipped with a valve, plug, and identification label.
The pump control panel shall be provided with an LED 12 volt light with switch.
PUMP CONTROL PANEL
The control panel shall be ergonomically designed and operator friendly. The panel shall be labeled and installed to be easily visible from the operator’s position. The following instruments and controls shall be installed:
- Master electric switch
- Emergency stop (red) switch
- Momentary contact two-position start-stop ignition switch
- Override water “on” push button
- Override abrasive “on” push button
- Override safety control button
- Control panel light and switch
- Two (2) UHP pressure gauges
- One (1) diverter valve control
The fire-fighting system shall be plumbed with high pressure hydraulic type hose, plumbing and fittings. This shall include double wire braided high pressure hoses of various sizes, zinc plated steel hose ends, and plated steel hydraulic fittings. The threads shall be male and female NPT, JIC and SAE O-ring style in various sizes. Rigid plumbing shall be in zinc plated steel piping with pipe fittings of zinc plated steel.
BYPASS UNLOADER VALVES
The ultra-high pressure plumbing system shall include two (2) bronze adjustable by-pass unloading valves set for the proper working pressure of the system. The valves shall unload the excess pressure to the intake side of the pump.
PRESSURE SAFETY, EASY START, THERMAL RELIEF VALVE
The ultra-high pressure plumbing system shall include the following devices:
c.) One (1) pressure safety relief valve which shall relieve water pressure to atmosphere; set at a slightly higher pressure than the unloading valve.
d.) One (1) thermal relief valve which shall open if water temperatures exceed 145 F (62 C) degrees; designed to protect the pump from high temperature conditions and relieve the water to atmosphere.
e.) One (1) EZ start valve.
A 1-1/4″ (31 mm) water filter with 32 mesh stainless steel screen shall be installed in the water supply line to the fire pump. The filter shall be accessible for cleaning the screen.
Necessary low voltage automatic circuit breaker protection shall be provide where required. Wiring shall be stranded copper automotive type, sized for the appropriate electrical load. Exposed wiring shall be protected with convoluted split plastic loom; such looms shall be mechanically secured. Wiring shall be run in protected areas or enclosed in metal panels where subject to mechanical injury. Electrical connections and termination of wiring shall be within weather proof plastic enclosures with waterproof strain reliefs and connectors.
WATER TANK SUPPLY LINE
A 1.25″ (31 mm) water tank to fire pump line shall be installed as follows:
- a)From the fire pump to the water filter shall be a 1.25” (31.75mm) flexible transparent hose.
- b)One (1) 1.25” (31.75mm) manually operated valve with control handle.
- c)15′ (5 meters) of 1.25” (31 mm) flexible water hose with removable connections and clamping devices to connect to a (non-drafting) water supply / source.
THREE-WAY DIVERTER VALVE CONTROL
A three-way valve control shall be installed on the pump panel to direct ultra-high pressure water discharge to either the piercing hose reel or high pressure fire-fighting reel.
HIGH PRESSURE DISCHARGE GAUGES
Two (2) 2.5” (62 mm) liquid filled pressure gauges shall be installed. One (1) on the discharge side of the relief valve and one (1) on the intake side of abrasive vessel, with both gauges mounted on the pump panel.
THROTTLE CONTROL PRESSURE GOVERNOR
The engine RPM shall be controlled by a throttle control pressure governor. The system shall operate as follows:
- When the hose reel nozzle is shutoff or the reel discharge valve is closed the bypass unloader valve will go into by-pass and drop the system pressure to 250 PSI (17 bar) or less.
- This change in pressure moves the piston in the throttle controller, reducing the tension on the throttle cable to permit the engine to idle.
The system shall provide for the following:
- Reduces engine RPM when pump is in by-pass resulting in reduced engine wear.
- Prolongs pump life by reducing potential liquid heat build-up while pump is in by-pass.
- Reduces fuel consumption because engine is not continually running at full RPM.
- Excellent on/off response eliminating pressure delays when pump operation resumes.
Piping shall be installed from the water control valve and from the abrasive vessel to a “T” connection and then to the hose reel.
The abrasive holding tank shall be automatically pressurized when the pump system is activated. When the vessel is pressurized, the abrasive shall flow to a “T” connection, where it combines with the ultra-high pressure water flow and directed to the hose reel and piercing nozzle.
The high pressure vessel shall be as follows:
- Capacity: 2.5 gallons (9 liters).
- Filler opening: Large thread high pressure filler cap assembly.
- Storage vessel: Certified ASME type 3,000 PSI (200 bar) high pressure storage vessel
- A high pressure discharge gauge on the pump panel.
- Tank design: Steel vessel with abrasive material capable of being stored over a prolonged period, yet ready for immediate use.
Three (3) 1 gallon (3 L) plastic containers of Pyro-Shot abrasive material shall be supplied. The abrasive material shall be inert non-metallic material that will not rust, damage the environment, or damage the operator’s protective clothing.
ELECTRIC REWIND HOSE REELS – ULTRA-HIGH PRESSURE
Two (2) ultra-high pressure steel hose reels shall be installed with a maximum capacity of 200′ of 3/4″ hose per reel. The reels shall have a leak proof ball bearing swing joint, electric 12 volt rewind provisions. The reel system shall be designed for a 2,000 PSI (135 bar) working pressure. The reels shall be painted red.
Each reel shall be equipped with a locking pin assembly.
The two (2) high pressure hose reels shall each be supplied by a 1/2” (12 mm) hydraulic type wire braided flexible hose line.
Two (2) push button electric rewind controls shall be installed (one near each hose reel). The wiring from the hose reel electric box shall be protected with conduit or loom.
Each hose reel shall be equipped with a electrical wiring junction box of plastic construction with a sealed cover assembly. The box shall house the reel solenoid, circuit breaker, and electrical wiring for the rewind control circuit and electric rewind motor power supply. The electrical supply shall be sized for the reel motor for both positive and neutral cables. The electrical supply wiring shall be supplied from the main electrical supply box for high pressure pump skid or module to each reel.
Two (2) stainless steel hose roller assemblies shall be supplied with reels for protection of the hose during hose removal and rewind operations.
REEL MOUNTED HIGH PRESSURE HOSE
Two (2) 150 foot (45 m) lengths x 3/4″ (19 mm) hose shall be installed with threaded couplings. The hose shall have a working pressure of 3,125 psi (215 bar).
The hose reel(s) shall be installed by the OEM.
WIRELESS ULTRA-HIGH PRESSURE PIERCING NOZZLE
The wireless ultra-high pressure piercing nozzle shall provide a hand operated trigger control for remote operation of water and aggregate flow. The system shall incorporate remote controlled communications using a wireless transmitter/receiver. In addition to this system, the unit shall include an ‘override’ system whereby both the water flow and abrasive flow can be controlled by a second operator at the pump panel utilizing “dead-man” control override switches.
For piercing operations both trigger and toggle switch shall be actuated, which shall remotely open the water valve and abrasive control valve. The nozzle shall include:
- One (1) trigger to control the flow of water from the ultra-high pressure water pump unit. The trigger mechanism shall control the flow of water at a rate of 10 GPM (40 LPM)
- One (1) toggle switch to control the flow of abrasive material from the storage vessel.
- Piercing operation:
- The nozzle tip shall be placed against the surface to be pierced.
- Initially the operator shall activate the toggle switch and pull the trigger for combined flow of water and abrasive material flow at extremely high velocity.
- The nozzle shall quickly cut a small hole through the material.
- After the material is penetrated, the operator shall de-activate the abrasive switch toggle and shall continue the flow of ultra-high pressure water into the hazardous area.
The nozzle barrel shall have an internal diameter of 1” (25 mm) which shall extend through the nozzle body. The rigid hollow barrel extends between the rear inlet and nozzle tip. The overall Lance design shall be approximately 53″ in length.
An ergonomically designed shoulder support shall be mounted to the rear nozzle barrel area and positioned to provide additional support to an operator. The forward nozzle barrel shall have an integral grab handle to allow the operator to safely and accurately direct the fluid flow against a surface. The nozzle shall also be equipped with a three prong offset fixture with a splash plate to protect the operator from spray-back of fluid and debris during the cutting operations.
A replaceable nozzle tip shall be mounted at the forward end of the nozzle barrel. When the nozzle is activated the abrasive material and high pressure water shall exit the nozzle tip in a focused water jet capable of cutting through various materials.
After penetration, the ultra-high pressure water shall continue through the nozzle projecting a jet stream having water droplets of appropriate size and velocity to effectively knock-down a thermal column within a closed space.
The nozzle shall be equipped with an enclosed manifold area which shall house a micro-switch for each function (primary water flow trigger and abrasive material flow toggle switch).
A wireless transmitter shall send command signals back to the pump assembly micro-processor electronic control center. The nozzle wireless transmitter shall be battery powered with an operating time of no less than one day of continuous use.
The nozzle shall be also equipped with an emergency manual override system at the power unit panel with switches to activate abrasive and water flow. This shall enable use of the system should transmission be lost due to excessive RF interference or “out-of-line-of-sight” deployment of the hose line.
NOZZLE — ULTRA-HIGH PRESSURE
One (1) 20 GPM (80 LPM) ultra-high pressure pistol grip fog nozzle shall be provided for the high pressure fog reel.
FACTORY TESTING PRIOR TO SHIPMENT
The entire pump and the plumbing system shall undergo a complete factory test. These test results shall be provided with shipment.
The equipment shall be properly crated, sealed, and protected for shipment. The crate shall be approximately: 54″ (1372 mm) wide x 79″ (2007 mm) long x 44″ (1118 mm) high in size and less than 2,500 lbs. (1,134 kg) in weight.
The PyroLance ultra-high pressure type firefighting system components shall be covered by a one (1) year parts and labor warranty. The installation portion of the warranty shall be covered by the final stage assembler.
The ultra-high pressure firefighting system shall be covered by a detailed technical manual covering installation, testing, operation, maintenance, and parts. This manual shall have various levels of warnings and caution notices provided. Paper and electronic portions will be supplied with the apparatus.